Let’s understand environmental wellness in a simpler way. We are all influenced by our environment eventually. The good and the bad aspects equally impact us. Our reactions to situations, places, and people are affected by the places we have come from. When we talk about environmental wellness, we mean to create an environment that is respectful to our surroundings and people living in it. Our lifestyle must be crafted in a way that would encourage us to live in by taking action to protect our earth.
Environmental well- being promotes our interaction with our personal environment and interaction with nature. The core principle of environmental wellness that we must adhere to is respecting nature and all of its inhabitants. Environmental well being encourages us to practice habits that promote a healthy environment.
We don’t necessarily have to join an organization or movement to contribute our part. When you opt for environmental wellness, you choose for a healthy and balanced lifestyle. You become more aware of the sustainability and preservation of your environment, thus making your daily activities more mindful and streamlined.
You may also like to read:
How can you develop environmental wellness?
- You must be aware of the impact you make on your decisions on the environment. Sometimes we are unnecessarily wasteful in our daily lives. We must use disposable products carefully and use them when they cannot be helped. Otherwise, replace them with reusable items
- You can work with your community to make improvements regarding more eco- friendly ways to deal with your wastes and manage public activities accordingly.
- If you want to contribute to your environment, you don’t have to donate by any monetary means. You need to follow the four R’s (reduce, reuse, re-think, and recycle) whenever you use it to buy or use something.
- Whenever you are traveling or moving to a new place, do a background check, and takes appropriate safety measures. We are not telling you to be always on alert and doubt everything, but there is nothing wrong with being cautious and prepared for any unforeseen circumstances. The environment we live in can be unpredictable, so instead of blaming our surroundings, we should be aware of the possibilities.
- You must realize for yourself the need of a healthy personal environment to create one.
You may also like to read:
What does a healthy personal environment include?
- Always try to surround yourself with things and people that you find inspiring and positive. We know that not possible every time, but whenever possible, don’t lose the opportunity.
- We understand sometimes you have the urge to be the right person and don’t want to hurt anybody’s feelings. But your mental peace must be far more critical than accommodating toxic people who will never value you no matter what you sacrifice for them.
- Participate in the community you live in. Organize events or be an active part of it. Have a good relationship with neighbors and contribute to the community by helping in animal shelters, donating to fundraisers, helping older adults, etc.
- Sometimes you come from a good mood from a party somewhere, and as soon as you enter your room, you suddenly start to feel down. One of the reasons can be an overly empty room or a chaotic room. You don’t want to surround yourself with things that don’t bring you joy. Try to have a monthly or weekly cleanup of your home. Add stuff to the decor of your home that makes you feel comfortable and reflects your personality. Get rid of things that you don’t need or enjoy anymore.
Ways to enhance environmental wellness
- It would help determine your role in it if you tried to educate yourself on different environmental issues. Whether you contribute to the degradation of the environment knowingly or unknowingly and the ways you can decrease, it can only be done by being aware.
- It’s not mandatory, but you can join an environmental organization so that you can know how much and by what way you can contribute to a better environment.
- As much as possible, use toxic-free personal care products and cleaning materials. The things that we feel are safe sometimes have long-term damage for us and worse for the animals that are regularly exposed to it.
- Try bulk shopping to avoid packaging and plastic waste. Try to prevent one-time use materials.
- Save electricity by turning off the lights, fans, AC’s and heaters when not in use.
- Take a reusable cup, water bottle, and sometimes your spoon wherever you go. It’s not only less wasteful, but also very hygienic considering the current pandemic situation. Just tell the vendors to fill the container that you are providing, not their own.
- Save water wherever possible. Sometimes you can keep the water running while shaving or doing the dishes. Try to avoid it by being more mindful of how much you need.
- Eat locally produced food and shop at farmers’ markets or local stores instead of online. It not only saves money, but you also reduce the packaging waste and are guaranteed to get fresher produce.
- If the weather and your health permit, try walking or riding the cycle as much as possible. It will cause less pollution and improve your fitness.
- Take appropriate measures to protect you from environmental hazards like ultraviolet radiation, air pollution, etc.
You may also like to read:
Environmental wellness is a process in which we contribute to our health and the planet in a better way. We strive to establish a sustainable lifestyle for us, eliminate pollutants and excess waste, and protect natural resources. It’s not just about being in harmony with our planet but also creating a healthy relationship with our surroundings.
We experience less anxiety and a greater sense of comfort when our surroundings are clean, well cared for and organized. Being environmentally well helps us to have a better life and conserves a better future for the future generation.